I have really been thinking a lot lately about my life and how I really want to live it. My children have been setting such a good example for me lately. I have really been thinking of what the word Friendship means. There was an incident where Sydnie was faced with one of the hardest situations she has had to deal with and she handled it with such grace and maturity. She had a friend humiliate her in front of everyone around and Syd didn't let it get to her. She turned around with a smile and went about her day. Now, my mom was there to witness this situation and she wanted more than anything to run and protect her from this so called friend, but she knew that Sydnie would make the right choice in how to act and she did. She amazed me. She chose to be the bigger person and I am so proud of her for that. She is learning what true friendship means and how to really be a good friend. Not one of convenience. That is what she has been facing during her first week of Junior High.
We all try and teach our children right from wrong and hope that they take what we have taught them and put it to good use, but to actually witness this happening is amazing. I have taught my kids to not be judgemental and sometimes when someone is mean to you.... you have to take it with a grain of salt because you don't know what is going on in their life right now. Maybe they are having a bad day and you are just the person that they can take it out on.
So my question is-- what does it mean to you to be a real friend? Have you ever been betrayed by a friend?
I have been betrayed by people who I thought were my friends. I have been hurt, backstabbed and flat out lied about. I have met some people in my life who, even though they weren't the best of people, taught me a lesson. Even if it was how NOT to be a friend. My idea of a true friend has changed back and forth over the years. It used to be that a true friend was someone who didn't try and steal my boyfriend (yes I have had some "friends" like that). Now my idea of a true friend is someone who will always be there for you in good times and in bad. A true friend is some one who loves you unconditionally and will NEVER judge you. A true friend also knows that you love them. They are the kind of people who can tell you the truth (either good or bad), but not in the any kind of way that will destroy your self worth. They are people who believe in you and are genuinely happy when you succeed in life.
I have learned what is means to be a true friend. Sometimes I don't talk to my friends as often as I would like, but I hope they realize that life gets in the way sometimes.
I am going to try my hardest to be a "true friend". Someone that my friends can trust in and confide in. Someone that always "there" for my friends for anything, even if it just to give a hug. Someone who deserves this kind of friendship in return.
Tuesday, August 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






2 comments:
HEY IT SOUND LIKE SYDNIE HANDLE HERSELF WELL! I THINK IT WILL MAKE HER A BETTER FRIEND TO SOME ELSE! SHE WILL BE MORE UNDERSTANDING WHEN SHE SEES ONE OF HER FRIENDS IN THE SAME POSTION SHE WAS IN! SO GO SYDNIE! LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE TAUGHT HER WELL! GOOD JOB!
way to handle the situation probably the best way that you should have. good call and way to be a great mom and example!
Post a Comment