CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 8, 2009

cholecystectomy (pronounced co-lee-sist-eck-toe-mee)

Well after 4 weeks of pain, 2 trips to the ER, tubes down my throat, iv's in my arms, several tests and not enough medication to take away symptoms, I underwent surgery on Monday, January 5th, to remove a small pear-shaped organ that stores and concentrates bile called the Gall Bladder. The gall bladder is connected to the liver by the hepatic duct. It is approximately 3 to 4 inches long and about 1 inch wide. The function of the gall bladder is to store bile and concentrate. Bile is a digestive liquid continually secreted by the liver. The bile emulsifies fats and neutralizes acids in partly digested food. A muscular valve in the common bile duct opens, and the bile flows from the gallbladder into the cystic duct, along the common bile duct, and into the duodenum (part of the small intestine).

Ok so now that you know it's purpose and where it is-- I no longer have mine. I have never really gone through surgery (unless you count a c-section) so I was a little nervous. One of the repercussions from the surgery besides pain from the incisions is the gas bubbles. When they do the surgery, they fill your abdomen full of gasses so that they can complete the surgery. They try to get most of it out but sometimes some of it HIDES! AAARRRGGGHHH! That gas is a bugger too. So with the support of my husband, my family, and some great friends who have really helped out, I am slowly recooping. It surprises me how much you use your abdomen for everything. I want to tell those who have called to check on me, those who have brought me treats, taken care of my kids, fixed dinner for my family and have just cared about my well being, Thank you for everything. I appreciate it more than you will ever know.

4 comments:

SANDY said...

THAT SUCKS I HOPE YOU ARE FEELING BETTER!!!

Hayden and Brent said...

I hope you get to feeling better soon! I love you tons!

Grande's said...

I hope your recovery goes well. I am sorry to hear you were in so much pain. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Emilie said...

I feel bad that I haven't checked your blog is sooo long! It is a bit harder because it won't show up on my google reader! Sky came home from work and told me he saw Jon and said you had surgery. I hope you feel better soon :)